Redmi Note 7 Pro is not a decent device. In fact, it is a mid-range Android device that can blow our mind. Its specs-per-performance ratio is just exceptional.
It comes shipped with MIUI 10 based on Android 9.0 Pie by default. MIUI is Xiaomi’s skinned version of Android ROM. It has a great user interface as well as speedy and sleek performance.
However, many of Mi Fans out there are also flashing maniacs. Those who are just satisfied with anything default. We believe that you are one of them. Well, we know that since you have come to this page at least.
Anyway, this article will show you the right way on how to flash AospExtended ROM. Many users simply call it as AEX ROM.
As what it name suggests, AEX is built based on AOSP Android. Its developer has extended some its features and functions to make it more awesome.
It brings in stock Android experience. Once installed, you’ll see a user interface that is completely different than what is in MIUI.
Being stock Android means smooth and sleek performance. Thanks to its simplicity.
It doesn’t bring Pixel experience entirely but it’s similar. We love to see the tweaks and customization added within AEX.
In case if you are wondering, the following list may help you get a preliminary sneak peek.
- AppOps - Ticker - One-Handed UI - DT2S On Navbar - CPU Info Switch - Grid/GO Recents UI - DU Font Engine - Toast Icon - Expanded Desktop - Notification Count - DUI (Fling/Pulse/Smartbar) - Custom Carrier label - Smart Pixels - Via/Jelly Browser - Retro Music Player - Wakelock Blocker - Camera Sound Toggle - Heads up Customizations - DU's HW Button Rebinding - Notification Intervals - Detailed Location QS Tile! - Statusbar Traffic Indicators - Increasing Volume in Ringtone - Run SysUI tuner from Extensions - Button Backlight Customizations - Omni's QSHeaders Background - Statusbar Clock/Date Customizations - Long Press Back button to Kill App - Picture-in-Picture (PiP) QS tile - Dashboard Column Configurations - Dashboard Suggestions/Summaries (Enable/Disable) - Force Expand Notifications (Enable/Disable) - Immersive Mode messages (Enable/Disable) - Flashlight Notifications - Oreo/Pie Recents Styles - Power Menu Customizations - Additional Battery Saver steps - Fingerprint Gestures Support - QS Haptic Feedback - One Tap Data & Wifi Tile - Auto Brightness Icon Toggle - Breathing Notifications - Show 4G instead of LTE switch - Night Mode QS Tile - Long press Caffeine Tile Action - Customize QS Rows/Columns - Customize small QS Tiles - StatusBar Brightness Control - Lockscreen Shortcut - Quick Unlock for PIN/Password - Battery Styles and Percentage - Flip Button Animation - Unlink Notification Volume - Status bar Clock Seconds - AEXPapers - AEX wallpaper app - Pixel's UI, Ringtones, and Wallpapers - Advanced Ambient Display Customizations - Long-press Power Button on Lockscreen for Torch - Toggle Lockscreen Media Art - Toggle Lockscreen Music Visualizer - Disable QS on Secured Lockscreen - Toggle Dynamic Notification Card's Color - Low Battery Notification Toggle - Weather on Lockscreen and Status Bar - Hide Clock/Date/Alarm Text from Lockscreen - Lock screen Clock's Font Customizations - Paranoid Android PIE Controls - Toggle power menu on Secured Lockscreen - Disable Orange Color in Battery Saver Mode - New Pretty Adaptive Icons for included AOSP apps - Long Press Gear Icon in Statusbar Header Launches Extensions - Built-in Light/Dark/Black/Chocolate/Wallpaper-Based and EXTENDED UI Themes - Volume Rocker Tweaks (Wake/Music seek/Keyboard cursor control/Swap in landscape mode) - and many others.
Getting amazed already? Now let’s dive into the steps of installing AEX ROM on your Redmi Note 7 Pro.
How to Install AospExtended on Redmi Note 7 Pro
Before we begin, it is our duty to remind you something.
Nobody forces you to flash anything mentioned in this page. We hold no responsibility for any damage or any risks that may happen to your phone. Please proceed with caution.
Create backups of your crucial files and data. The process is basically safe but we cannot guarantee anything. Good things and bad things always happen.
- You will need a Windows computer either a PC or a Laptop. Windows 8/8.1/10 64-bit is recommended.
- A USB data cable. Make sure it’s a data cable and not a charging-only cable.
- Download Xiaomi ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Download Android Platform Tools r28.0.1 (zip).
- Download Twistloop TWRP for Redmi Note 7 Pro (img).
- Download AEX ROM for Redmi Note 7 Pro (zip).
- Download GApps here or here (zip). Choose ARM64 Android 9.0 Pie.
- Download patched vbmeta image tweak (img).
- Download Magisk root (zip) – only if you want to root.
Steps to Flash AEX ROM on Redmi Note 7 Pro
We’ll start this tutorial from the very beginning, flashing TWRP. You can skip this stage if you have already had it installed.
Step 1. Disable Windows Drivers Signature Enforcement on your computer. We have the detailed tutorial here.
Step 2. Extract Xiaomi ADB Fastboot Driver zip file (miui-ADB-Driver-Installer-v1.4.3.zip) and install it on your computer. This should finish in seconds. Make sure you install it on C:\adb\. This step is necessary to install ADB Fastboot system-wide.
Step 3. Extract the miui-platform-tools_r28.0.1-win.zip on your computer. You’ll get a folder called “platform-tools“. This step is important to make sure you use the latest version of ADB-Fastboot.
Step 4. Unlock the bootloader of your phone. Read the full guide on how to unlock MIUI bootloader officially here. Please be aware that the process requires you to reset your phone. All your data will be lost.
Step 5. Rename the downloaded TWRP image file from (for instance) recovery_twistloop_1-violet.img to recovery.img.
Step 6. Now copy both recovery.img file and vbmeta.img file to the “platform-tools” folder.
Step 7. Now enable USB debugging on your phone. You might have it enabled during the bootloader unlocking process. However, it is a good practice to double-check it.
Enabling Developer Options, go to:
Settings >> About phone >> tap the MIUI version 7x >> You are developer!
Enable USB Debugging, go to:
Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options >> USB Debugging >> toggle it on.
A notification will pop up on your screen. Tap “OK“.
Step 8. Next, connect your Redmi Note 7 Pro to your computer using its USB.
Step 9. Choose “File Transfer” mode when asked (do not choose the charging mode”.
Step 10. In Windows Explorer, go to the “platform-tools” folder. Hold down the Shift button on keyboard, right-click anywhere within that folder, and choose “Open command prompt window/PowerShell window from here“.
Step 11. Now type following lines of command. Hit Enter every each line to issue it.
adb reboot bootloader
The first line asks your computer to recognize your device. The second line instructs your phone to boot into bootloader mode a.k.a fastboot mode. You’ll see the Mi Bunny logo displayed.
This instructs your computer to establish ADB connection with your device while verifying any device attached. Second, this also reboots your device into Fastboot mode (bootloader mode). You will see your phone rebooting and you will also see the Mi Bunny Fastboot logo displayed.
Step 12. Next, type following command lines and hit Enter on keyboard:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
That command flashes vbmeta onto your device.
Step 13. Now flash the TWRP recovery correspondingly:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 14. Finally, type this command but do not hit Enter just yet:
Step 15. Now press the Power button and Volume Up button simultaneously. Hold it until it reboots. Hit Enter on your keyboard at the same time as your phone is rebooting.
Your phone shall now reboot into TWRP recovery.
Step 16. Next, do the “Swipe to confirm system modification” action. You are now in the main menu of TWRP.
Step 17. Choose “Wipe” from the main menu then choose “Format Data“. Proceed accordingly.
Step 18. Once done, go back again then choose “Wipe” then choose “Advanced wipe“.
Step 19. Select Cache, Data, System, and Vendor.
Step 20. Do the “Swipe to wipe” action and proceed accordingly.
Step 21. Finished? Now in your computer, find the zip files of AEX ROM, GApps, and Magisk (e.g: AospExtended-v6.5-violet-20190607-1232-OFFICIAL.zip, open_gapps-arm64-9.0-nano-20190209.zip, and Magisk-v19.1.zip). Copy those files to your phone through Windows Explorer.
Alternatively, you can also place those files inside the “platform-tools” folder then issue this command:
adb push AospExtended-v6.5-violet-20190607-1232-OFFICIAL.zip /tmp/ adb push Magisk-v19.1.zip /tmp/ adb push open_gapps-arm64-9.0-nano-20190209.zip /tmp/
Step 22. Now go back to the main menu, choose “Install”, then locate the AEX zip file.
Step 23. Tap on it to select it then do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for it to finish flashing.
Step 24. Do not reboot just yet once the flashing process of AEX ROM is done. Go back to TWRP’s main menu.
Step 25. Choose “Install” again then locate the Open GApps zip file.
Step 26. Tap on it to select it then do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for it to finish flashing.
At this point you can simply Reboot to System if you don’t want root access.
Step 27. Go back to the main menu again, choose “Install“, then locate the Magisk zip file.
Step 28. Tap on it to select it then do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for it to finish flashing.
Step 29. Once done, choose “Reboot” then “System“.
Step 30. Finally, setup your Google Account once the phone has finished the booting process. Initial booting time is usually longer than usual.
Voila! You have successfully flashed AEX ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie on Redmi Note 7 Pro.
Ran into problems? Do not hesitate to drop a comment below or head directly to its XDA thread. Enjoy..!
Found a broken link? Write a comment below!