This method is the easiest way to install Play Store and any other Google Apps on Redmi Note 5 AI released in China. This involves no bootloader unlocking technique nor rooting your device. We will not make use of Open GApps for this task.
As we may already know that Xiaomi rolls out three variants of Redmi Note 5: China AI, Global AI, and Pro India. All of them inherit the same codename: Whyred. The Global and Pro variants both have Google Apps and Services installed. However, the China AI is shipped with no GApps on it. Hence, people buying this device from China directly will find no Play Store installed.
This tutorial is meant for those who have purchased the China variant of Redmi Note 5 or those who have flashed MIUI China ROM (either Stable or Beta/Developer) on it.
How to Install Gapps Brilliantly
- Download this ready-to-use Play Store package.
- Browse for the file in File Manager.
- Tap the file name and choose “Extract files to…”.
- Search for the extracted files. You will get a new folder called “Mi5GoogleBackup”.
- Copy and paste (move) that folder into MIUI >> backup >> AllBackup. You may need to create that folder if you don’t have it inside the MIUI folder.
- Open Settings and go to Additional Settings.
- Tap the Backup & Reset >> and then Local backups.
- You will see a backup file you have copied earlier.
- Tap on it and check-mark the Apps.
- Tap the Restore button.
- Finally, restart your phone once the process has been finished.
You can now see Play Store icon displayed. Tap on it to launch it up.
Login with your Google Account as usual. Once logged in, update the Play Store app.
Now since you have it installed, you can browse and download other Google Apps such as Drive, Maps, Play Music, Photos, Play Games, and so on.
Thanks to Jaasir for sharing the workaround.
This method will also work, just in case, the above one didn’t work flawlessly on your device.
- Download the Google Apps Installer v3 APK file.
- Install it on your phone.
- Launch Google Installer app.
- Tap the blue button.
- Wait for the process to finish. Make sure you have an active Internet connection.
You have to use version 3.0 of the app else it won’t work as expected.
Now, how it went for you? Did the process go smoothly? Have you installed it successfully? Share your experience in the comment form below. Like us on facebook to get a faster update on new articles.