Follow all the steps we have done below to flash Red Wolf Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro/Global (whyred) running any version of MIUI (ARB/Non-ARB). This recovery is also compatible with custom ROMs such as LineageOS, MIUI Xiaomi.eu, Pixel Experience, and so on.
RedWolf Recovery Project (RWRP) is a modified build of the original TWRP with some additional twists. RWRP sports custom features such as password protection. Flashing a custom recovery needs an unlocked bootloader. This makes your phone less secure. Anyone with access on your phone can easily boot into recovery and flash anything including malicious binaries. RWRP adds password protection feature to prevent illegal access over your phone’s recovery mode.
Moreover, RWRP supports the official MIUI incremental OTA update. It means you can easily and conveniently upgrade your phone to the latest version of MIUI just like usual. There is no need to download the full ROM package just because you run a custom recovery on your device. RWRP won’t break the OTA Update. However, there is an additional trick you will need to accomplish before enjoying this feature.
Some other features of RWRP include built-in with latest Magisk root, Tap to wake, and DM-Verity / Force Encryption Disabler. Not to mention some cool stuff added by its community such as Substratum Rescue, Remove ROM Security, FGO Patch, Fix fingerprint scanner, Ramdisk cleaner, and so on.
Xiaomi has rolled out newer versions of MIUI for Redmi Note 5 Pro/Global/China/AI (Whyred) that features Android Oreo Anti-rollback Protection mechanism. The feature wants to prevent bad things to happen if users downgrade their device to older MIUI versions. However, this feature is not without a catch.
The implemented ARB Protection since MIUI 188.8.131.52 has changed the way users can install a custom recovery. Based on this side effect, you cannot just do the fastboot flash recovery as usual. It requires more steps to accomplish the mission.
Moreover, forcing to do the old-school way on flashing recovery will deactivate fastboot. Luckily, there is a patch capable to re-activate fastboot.
Read more about ARB here:
- What is Anti-rollback Protection and how to check for it?
- MIUI Anti-rollback Protection Do’s and Don’ts
- Anti-rollback Protection Bypasser Tool
Steps to Flash RWRP
You will need these:
- A Redmi Note 5 (whyred) device.
- A compatible USB data cable.
- A computer running Windows 8/8.1/10 64-bit.
- Xiaomi ADB-Fastboot Driver or Mi Flash tool.
- RWRP v027 for Whyred.
- ARB Bypasser and Fastboot unlocker.
- The latest version of MIUI Stable Recovery ROM.
- The latest version of the Magisk zip file.
- DM Verity Disabler zip file (optional).
- A cup of coffee or tea (optional).
You need to accomplish the following tasks prior to rooting your MIUI device:
- Unlock your phone bootloader officially. This is particularly easy but it may take some time. Read our full guide on how to do this here.
- Disable Driver Signature Enforcement on your Windows computer. This allows smooth installation process, or else, you will end up fail on installing the necessary driver. The full tutorial is here.
- Install Xiaomi ADB-Fastboot USB driver software you have downloaded it from the above link. This allows your computer to recognize your Android device properly. On top of that, this makes sure you can establish both ADB and Fastboot connection while the phone is in Bootloader mode and USB Debugging enabled. Choose site-wide installation during the process. Once installed, you will have it in your drive C:\adb\. You may also use Mi Flash tool instead. The tool bundles all required drivers within its installation.
- Download the latest version of the Magisk zip file or DM Verity Disabler zip file directly to your phone (link available above). You may copy the zip file from the Downloads folder to the root directory of your phone storage for an easier access.
- Backup your important data. We hold no responsibility for any potential damage of following this article. Please proceed with caution.
A QUICK CHECK FOR ARB INDEX
Follow all the steps below to install TWRP on your phone:
- Download the RWRP image file from the above link to your computer and rename the file to recovery.img.
- Download the ARB Bypasser zip file and extract the image file.
- Copy the recovery.img and dummy.img files to the C:\adb\ folder.
- Enable Developer Options. Go to Settings > About phone > tap the MIUI version several times until the developer options being enabled.
- Also, enable USB Debugging through Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging > toggle it on.
- Reboot your phone into bootloader/fastboot mode. You can either use the button combination method or use the ADB method. Read our full guide about Redmi Note 5 bootloader mode here.
- Connect your phone to your computer using its USB cable.
- On your computer, go to the ADB folder in Windows Explorer. This is usually located at C:\adb\.
- Type “cmd” – without quotes – in the Address bar of Windows Explorer, then hit Enter. This will launch Command Prompt window right in the current location.
- Type “fastboot getvar anti” and hit Enter. This instructs your computer to check for ARB index of your phone.
Steps to Flash RWRP
- If your ARB index is 4 or greater, type “fastboot flash antirbpass dummy.img” and hit Enter. The command orders your computer to flash dummy.img file to your device through the Fastboot interface. Skip this step and use Step 2 below if your ARB index is 3.
- Type “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” and hit Enter. This instructs the computer to flash RWRP image file to the phone through the fastboot interface. The process should finish within seconds.
- Type “fastboot reboot recovery” and hit Enter. This will boot your device into RWRP. Alternatively, you can also use this command: “fastboot boot recovery.img“
- Your phone will now reboot into RWRP recovery mode.
ROOT REDMI NOTE 5
- The first time you boot into RWRP, you will need to do the “Swipe to allow system modification“. By doing this, it will trigger the MIUI DM-Verity security check. Without flashing Magisk or its disabler module, your phone will fail to boot.
- Choose “Install” from the main menu.
- If you want to flash TWRP without rooting, flash the Lazyflasher DM-Verity Disabler zip file. Locate the file, tap on it to select it, and do the “Slide to confirm flash“.
- Otherwise, flash Magisk if you want to have full root access on your phone. Locate the Magisk zip file, tap on it to select it, and do the “Slide to confirm flash“.
- Wait for a few seconds for RWRP to finish its job.
- Once done, tap Reboot.
How to Survive MIUI OTA
- Copy the downloaded MIUI Recovery ROM (zip) file to your phone storage. Check and download the latest Global Stable Recovery ROM here or here for the China Stable ROM.
- Reboot your phone into RWRP Recovery mode. You can turn off your phone completely, then press the Power and Volume Up (+) button simultaneously to achieve this.
- Once you are in RWRP Menu, tap the second icon from the left.
- Here you need to modify the OTA survival trigger path. Change the OTA Survival trigger path from to “META-INF/com/miui_miui_update” to “META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary“.
- Next, tap on the third icon from the left with RedWolf specific settings.
- Now find and enable this checkbox: “Support OTA Survival trigger package“.
- Go back to the RWRP main menu and choose Install.
- Locate the full MIUI Recovery zip file. Tap on it to select it.
- Flash the MIUI ROM file by doing the “Swipe to confirm flash“.
- Wait for it to accomplish the task. Once done, reboot to system.
- Now every time you get OTA update, simply download it using the updater app.
- Once the download is complete, just let it automatically reboot into the Recovery which in this case is handled by RedWolf.
- RedWolf will automatically install it and reboot back to the system.
RWRP is processing OTA update:
That’s all. You only need to do the Step 1 until Step 1o in the last section above once. You don’t need to flash the full ROM anymore. Simply let the Updater app fetch the OTA update and let it reboot into recovery. RWRP will handle the rest.
Thanks to Red Wolf Recovery! You can flash Magisk for systemless root and can get the incremental OTA easily.