Paranoid Android is coming to Xiaomi Mi 9T or Redmi K20 although the Beta version is currently arriving first. Paranoid Android is one of popular custom Android ROM for many devices, including some of Xiaomi and Redmi variants.
Xiaomi Mi 9T and Redmi K20 both are the same devices basically and are having codename Davinci. Mi Fans in India and China rather know it as Redmi K20 while fellows around the globe call it Mi 9T.
This article intends to show you the comprehensive steps on how to install Paranoid Android ROM on your Mi 9T / Redmi K20. For the sake of simplicity, we’ll call it as Mi 9T from the hereafter.
Before we begin, we strongly suggest you create backups of any crucial data and files from your phone.
The procedure is basically harmless as long as you do it right. However, there are many unpredictable variables. Hence, we hold no responsibility for any damage that might happen to your phone.
- You will need a Windows computer either a PC or a Laptop. Windows 8/8.1/10 64-bit is recommended.
- A USB data cable. Make sure it’s a data cable and not a charging-only cable. Simply use its official cable if you hesitate.
- Download Xiaomi ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Download Android Platform Tools r28.0.1 (zip).
- Download TWRP by 4PDA (Unofficial) (img).
- Download Paranoid Android ROM for Mi 9T/Redmi K20 (zip).
- Download Google Apps for ARM64 (zip).
- Download Magisk root (zip).
HOW TO FLASH EVOLUTION X ROM ON MI 9T OR REDMI K20
Step 1. Disable Windows Drivers Signature Enforcement on your computer. We have the detailed tutorial here.
Step 2. Extract Xiaomi ADB Fastboot Driver zip file (miui-ADB-Driver-Installer-v1.4.3.zip) and install it on your computer. This should finish in seconds. Make sure you install it on C:\adb\. This step is necessary to install ADB Fastboot system-wide.
Step 3. Extract the miui-platform-tools_r28.0.1-win.zip on your computer. You’ll get a folder called “platform-tools“. This step is important to make sure you use the latest version of ADB-Fastboot.
Step 4. Unlock the bootloader of your phone. Read the full guide on how to unlock MIUI bootloader officially here. Please be aware that the process requires you to reset your phone. All your data will be lost.
Step 5. Flash the official MIUI Global Stable ROM. If you are using Paranoid Android BETA version 20190819, it is recommended to use MIUI Global Stable v10.3.9.0. It is also possible to use the latest version (e.g: MIUI v10.3.11.0) but additional steps will be necessary.
- Download MIUI 10.3.9.0 Global Stable Fastboot ROM (.tgz).
- Download Mi Flash Tool.
- How to flash MIUI Fastboot ROM.
Skip this Step 5 if your Mi 9T is already running MIUI Global Stable ROM version 10.3.9.0 or newer.
Step 7. Reboot your phone to TWRP recovery mode. Turn off your phone completely then press the Power button and Volume Up button simultaneously.
You may need to do the “swipe to confirm modifications” if this is your first time entering TWRP.
Step 8. Choose “Wipe” from the main menu, then choose “Format Data“.
Step 9. TWRP will ask for a confirmation. Type “Yes” and hit Enter on your keypad.
Step 10. Once the formatting process is done, go back to the main menu of TWRP then choose “Reboot“, then “Recovery“. Your phone will reboot back to the TWRP recovery.
Step 11. Connect your Mi 9T / Redmi K20 phone to your computer using its USB cable.
Step 12. Now copy all the zip files to the phone’s internal storage. Place the Paranoid Android ROM, Open GApps, and Magisk zip files in the root directory of your phone. The root directory means the upper level or not inside any folder. This will ease you in looking for it.
You can do this directly through Windows Explorer, or you can put the files in the “platform-tools” folder and use the command below to copy it:
adb push pa_davinci-BETA-20190819.zip /tmp/ adb push open_gapps-arm64-9.0-nano-20190209.zip /tmp/ adb push Magisk-v19.3.zip /tmp/
Step 13. Go back to your phone and form the main menu of TWRP choose “Install“.
Step 14. Locate the Paranoid Android ROM zip file, for instance: pa_davinci-BETA-20190819.zip. Tap on it to select it.
Step 15. Do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for TWRP to flash the zip file.
Step 16. Once done, go back to the main menu then choose “Install” again.
Step 17. Locate the Open GApps zip file, for instance: open_gapps-arm64-9.0-nano-20190209.zip. Tap on it to select it.
Step 18. Do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for TWRP to flash the zip file.
Step 19. Once done, go back to the main menu then choose “Install” again.
Step 20. Now find the Magisk zip file, for instance: Magisk-v19.3.zip. Tap on it to select it.
Step 21. Do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. Sit tight and wait for TWRP to flash the zip file. This should finish faster than flashing the ROM file.
p.s: You can skip Step 19 – Step 21 above if you don’t want root.
Step 22. Reboot your phone by tapping on the “Reboot” button then choose “System“.
Voila! You’ve successfully installed Paranoid Android (BETA) on your Mi 9T / Redmi K20. Please understand that the initial booting time may take longer than usual. This is normal.
Do not hesitate to drop a comment down below. Enjoy.
The maintainer notes some possible issues about the beta version:
The Fingerprint Scanner does not work with screen off
It’s intended to work that way, but you can enable AOD if you really want it.
The Fingerprint Scanner doesnt work occasionally
Some users face issues with the fingerprint scanner.
Apparently, this seems only to happen on some non-global models tho.
Adding the finger multiple times seems to help.
Google Pay feature does not work
Follow the workaround below. Credits for Pok5 on XDA.
- Install Magisk – Magisk Canary (.apk file).
- Go to Magisk > Magisk Hide and select Google Pay, Google Play Services and other banking applications.
- In the Google Pay settings, clean data and cache (Settings -> Applications -> Management -> Google Pay).
- Go to TWRP > Advanced (Advanced) > File manager.
- Go to file: /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/dg.db
- Click chmod, enter 440 and confirm.
- Finally, run the system (reboot system) and configure Google Pay.
- Once you entered your card and finished bank verification, you should be able to pay with NFC.
You may need to do the following steps if you come from MIUI Global Stable ROM newer than version 10.3.9.0 (e.g: 10.3.11.0).
- Extract the dtbo.img file from the MIUI ROM .tgz file.
- Copy it to your phone.
- Reboot to TWRP (Power + Volume Up).
- Tap on “Install“.
- Choose to flash image file (IMG).
- Locate the dtbo.img file, tap on it to select it.
- Do the “Swipe to flash” action.
Do these additional steps right after you flashed the ROM. Hence, the sequence in order will be:
- Flash MIUI ROM
- Flash Paranoid Android ROM
- Flash dtbo.img file
- Flash Open GApps.
- Flash Magisk
Hope that helps.