There is no secret formula to reboot your Redmi 5A device into Recovery mode, either to TWRP or to stock MIUI recovery. It’s just a matter of pressing a combination of two buttons. However, there are also two other methods to help you get into recovery mode. Hence, there are 3 methods in total. This article tells you all available methods which you can pick one of them depending on your own situation.
We will start with the easiest one: the button combination trick. Follow these steps:
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Once it is totally off, press the Power button and the Volume Up (+) button simultaneously.
- It will then reboot into Recovery mode.
Voila! Your phone is now in Recovery mode. Normally, you will see the default MIUI stock recovery tool unless you have (or someone else has) flashed custom recovery like TWRP* or RWRP**.
It may sound simple but many users still confused whether to use Volume Up or Volume Down button. Please remember that pressing the Volume Down will bring you to the MIUI fastboot mode a.k.a the bootloader mode instead.
The second method to achieve this goal is also easy. In fact, it is easier than the easiest one above (I know you got confused with this sentence). It doesn’t require to power off your phone. Are you curious already? Read and follow these steps below:
- Open the Settings menu on your phone. You can either tap the “Settings” icon or slide down the notification area and tap the little Setting icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap the “About Phone”.
- Then go to “System Update”.
- Tap the little three-dots icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen. This will bring down several menus.
- Choose “Reboot to Recovery mode”.
Voila! Again, this will also bring you straight to the Recovery mode.
The last method which is the most difficult one is with the help of your computer. This requires ADB or Fastboot connections between your phone and your PC. Follow the steps below:
- Enable Developer Options. Go to Settings > About phone > tap the MIUI version several times until the developer options being enabled.
- Also, enable USB Debugging through Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging > toggle it on.
- Disable Windows Driver Signature Enforcement on your computer. Read here.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer. Available here.
- Connect your Redmi 5A to your computer using its USB cable. The phone is still in normal mode (Not turned off).
- Go to the ADB folder in Windows Explorer. This is usually located at C:\adb.
- Type “cmd” – without quotes – in the Address bar of Windows Explorer, then hit Enter. This will launch Command Prompt window right in the current location.
- Now type following command and hit Enter on your keyboard to execute it.
The command lines to boot into Recovery mode:
adb devices adb reboot recovery
However, use this command to reboot to Recovery from the Bootloader mode:
fastboot devices fastboot reboot recovery
Both adb devices and fastboot devices are used to tell your computer to list all attached devices. You have to make sure that your phone is connected and recognized properly by your computer. Otherwise, the command in the second line will not work.
That’s it. Now you have learned all the methods to boot your Redmi 5A into Recovery mode. Please do not hesitate to ask us questions if you still don’t understand some parts of the article above.
*TWRP stands for Team Win Recovery Project.
**RWRP stands for Red Wolf Recovery Project, which is the modified version of TWRP.