This workaround on how you can install MTZ file on a Xiaomi device running MIUI 10 has been proven to work correctly. Thanks to a simple Android app called Mi Themer. The app is as powerful as its friend Mi Rape. Simply follow the steps explained below to get yours done flawlessly.
Before we proceed, there is some information you may need to know. First, Xiaomi has deliberately disabled the function to import .mtz file on the MIUI Themes Manager app. This is not without purpose. Some speculation mentions security issues while others say it was to protect theme designers and creative creators. Which one is true? Well, only Xiaomi Team knows exactly why.
Second, we share this tutorial with no intention of guiding you to install ripped MIUI themes. You are responsible for where you obtained the file.
Moreover, do not use the app to modify someone else’s works and rebrand it as your own.
This method has no substantial risks of damage. However, creating a backup of your important data and files is not a wrong thing to do. It is a good practice especially before you do any modification to your device.
Lastly, this method of how you can install mtz theme requires no root at all.
The workaround below has been tested to work just fine on Redmi 5 / 5 Plus, Redmi Note 5 / 5 Pro, Mi 6X, Redmi S2, and Redmi 5A. Despite being tested only on specific phones, this method shall also work on other devices such as Mi 8 Lite, Mi 8 Pro, Mi Mix 2/2S, Mi Max 2/3, and Redmi Note 6 Pro.
Steps to Install MTZ Theme
Using the old version of the app is more powerful but it requires a little effort. Using the new version of the app is also functional. The steps are also effortless.
Using Old Mi Themer App
- Download the MTZ file of MIUI Theme you wish to install on your phone. Make sure you download the compatible version of the theme. Remember that V9 themes are for MIUI 9 and v10 themes are for MIUI 10.
- Download the full Mi Themer APK file from here.
- Locate the APK file that you have just downloaded and open it to install it. Generally, the file is located in your Downloads folder. Use the File Manager app to find the apk file. If this is your first time installing an APK file, you will be notified to enable the “Unknown Sources” setting.
- Now open the Mi Themer app. Find the icon on the screen and tap on it to launch the app.
- Next, tap the “Create New Theme” menu on the top right-hand corner.
- Now fill in all the fields detail. Give the theme any Title. Just fill all other fields with any entries you want. Make sure non of it is empty.
- Tap the “Save” button. You will see the newly created theme available on the front page.
- Now tap on the theme’s name you have just created.
- A few menus will be displayed. Choose “Edit Project“.
- Choose the menu on the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap “Import file”
- Locate the folder of the theme you wish to install.
- Select all theme’s files excluding description.xml file.
- Next, tap the three dots icon at the top right-hand corner again. Choose “Import folder”.
- Select the theme’s folder and import it.
- Next, tap the theme’s name again and choose Pack theme. The app will repack the theme.
- Wait till the process complete.
- Finally, simply hit that “Apply” button.
- Wait for the app to process the task.
- Done! Congratulation, the MIUI MTZ file has been installed successfully.
The newly installed theme should permanently run on your phone unless you changed it. This awesome trick is shared by TechRush. Credits belong to him. Hit the link to view the full video. It is explained in Hindi though.
The alternative easier method is below.
Using New Mi Themer App
- Download the MTZ file of any MIUI file you wish to install.
- Download the latest version of Mi Themer (at least v2.5).
- Install it on your phone.
- Open the app by tapping on its icon.
- Tap “Select .MTZ Theme” button at the bottom.
- Browse and locate the MTZ file.
- Tap on it to select it.
- Tap the “OK” button.
- Next, the theme’s name on the front page.
- Select the “Pack Theme and Apply” option.
- Wait for the app to repack your theme and apply it on your phone.
- Theme packed. Apply Now? Answer Yes.
- That’s all and congratulation.
We tried the second method to install mtz file and the results vary. In one device it lasted for 30 minutes while in others are longer.
Have you tried this step? Which one is the best for you? What theme is the most beautiful one you have ever used? Share it in the comment section below.
Found a broken link? Write a comment below!