All the steps outlined below will guide you through a full procedure of flashing MIUI full ROM package using the fastboot method. This is the common method to do a full factory reset. Moreover, this may also fix common soft brick problems such as a bootloop error. On top of that, switching between MIUI versions either from Stable to Beta/Developer or vice versa also requires this method. Personally, we usually use the fastboot method to do a clean upgrade to a major MIUI version; for instance, from MIUI 9 to MIUI 10.
Despite its advantages, this method has one major drawback which is full data cleaning. Hence, creating a full backup of your important data is crucial before going through the whole procedure. Otherwise, you will lose your data forever. There are many methods and apps to help you create backups. You just need to sort and pick from its features that suit you.
This tutorial is applicable to all Xiaomi devices.
Follow the steps below carefully to do an MIUI fastboot flashing:
- Unlock the bootloader of your device as what we have explained here.
- Download the full MIUI fastboot ROM package (.tgz) corresponding to your device variant.
- Disable Windows Driver Signature Enforcement on your 64-bit computer. Read the tutorial here.
- Download and install Mi Flash tool on your computer.
- Extract the full MIUI ROM (.tgz) file. Software like WinRAR or 7zip may come in handy for the task.
- Launch the Mi Flash tool.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Reboot into bootloader mode by pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you see the Fastboot logo displayed.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Click the “Refresh” button on the tool to make sure it can recognize your device. Your device will then be displayed on the tool.
- Next, click the “Select” button to browse for the MIUI ROM files.
- Now locate the folder location of where you have extracted the ROM (step 5). Click “OK” once done.
- Select the “Clean all” option at the bottom of the tool. You may also select the “Clean all and lock” option if you wish to relock the bootloader. In most cases, many users want to leave the bootloader unlocked.
- Finally, click the “Flash” button to start flashing.
- A progress bar will be displayed. Wait until it turns fully green with a “Success” message being displayed.
Voila! Your phone will automatically reboot once the flashing process is done completely.
Some screenshot pics of the steps:
Bootloader mode (Fastboot) – Step 8
Using Mi Flash tool – Step 10, 11, 13, 14, 15.
There are some common problems that may occur during the process:
The Mi Flash tool cannot detect the device.
Some workarounds you may try:
- Replace the USB cable.
- Change different USB port.
- Reinstall the Mi Flash tool.
- Make sure your phone is in bootloader mode.
“Receiving Hello Packet, Ping Target Failed” Error.
Fix: Use an older version of Mi Flash tool. Such an error usually occurs on an older device being flashed through the latest version of the tool.
“Length cannot less than zero” Error.
- Make sure that the ROM file has been extracted completely with no corrupted files.
- Do not extract the ROM inside many folders. Try extracting it in the root directory such as drive C:\ or D:\.
- If it is inside a folder, make sure its name has no space(s).
- Try running Mi Flash tool as Administrator (Right click > Run as administrator).
“Mismatching image and device” Error.
This error occurs when the ROM file you use is incompatible. It means you have downloaded a wrong ROM file for your device. The only fix for this error is to download the appropriate ROM.
The device is bricked with no way to recover.
This happens when you attempt to downgrade the MIUI version to a previous release on a device with Anti-rollback protection enabled. There is no way to fix this but bringing your device to the nearest Xiaomi service center. The Test-point method may also help you if you have enough bravery and skill to proceed.
Tried these steps on your Mi or Redmi phone? How was your experience? Did you find any problem or was it a smooth process? Share your experience below.